Re: [udig-devel] general purpose client to WFS 1.1

On 2 Nov 2006 at 8:04, Paul Ramsey wrote:

> Jens,
>
> The WFS client code (most of it, anyways) resides in the Geotools
> code base.  The main issue with moving to WFS 1.1 is not the WFS 1.1
> specification, it's the GML 3.1.1 specification.  So if you're
> interested in helping, hop over the the geotools side of the fence
> and start talking there about what needs to be done for GML 3.1.1
> support.  Some of it is already being done by the geoserver team
> (working in the geotools code base (we really should have a simple
> architecture diagram at the top of our developers page)) for an
> opengis project they are on right now.  But it is a limited subset of
> GML3.
>
> Sorry to give you a research project when all you wanted was a simple
> answer!

Hi Paul,

some research on the server side (deegree-devel list) led to the following:

<snip>
Hello Jens,

Jens Stutte schrieb:
> the WFS 1.1 spec defines for backwards compatibility as possible ouputFormat GML 2.1.2
> and 3.1.1 (see for example: page 48 of 04-094 Web Feature Service Implementation
> Specification_V1.1.pdf). As far as I can see in current deegree examples, only GML 3.1.1 is
> used. Is it possible to "downgrade" the WFS to use GML 2.1.2? Would it be very hard to
> implement this?

Actually, the WFS GML output does not use anything that is special to
GML 3. The GetFeature-reponses from the WFS should be valid GML 2 as well...
> The use would be, to create a "simple" XML transformation between WFS 1.0 and WFS 1.1
> requests and responses in  order to be able to implement a fully backwards compatible WFS.

Yes, this could be realized as a proxy server for example.

Best regards,
Markus S.
</snip>

If this is true, why not realize (as a temporary hack) "proxied" WFS 1.1 support on the client side inside uDig? With some XSLT you should be done - not very performant, but at least it would work. Just to get a step ahead without being blocked by others...

Best regards,

Jens

Back to the top