[udig-devel] uDig Milestone 1 has been completed

Apparently I have forgotten to send this email out to the list...

These documents mentioned are available on the uDig Wiki at:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/UDIG/Milestone-1

     Summary Of Work Accomplished

The goal of this project is to build a GIS Desktop Client that integrates with Open
GIS Consortium (OGC) Open Web Services (OWS).

The Application Framework we will be using is called Eclipse Rich Client
Platform. Eclipse Rich Client Platform is an offshoot of a popular Java Integrated
Development Environment and offers a unique approach to Java User Interface
development.

All required documents have been completed for this initial milestone.
These Documents are:

   * /Phase 1.1/
         o WFS DataStore Design and Testing Plan
   * /Phase 1.2/
         o Printing Technologies Report
   * /Phase 1.6/
         o Rendering Technologies Report
   * /Phase 1.8/
         o GIS Web Registry Services Report
   * /Phase 1.10/
         o Requirements Document
         o Milestone Report

For milestone 1 we have completed:

   * /Phase 1.10/
         o Project Web Site, svn repository, wiki and email list

We were very pleased with the assistance provided by our partners and the open
source community in setting up the uDig project.

This work is publicly available via the uDig project website, community wiki and
Subversion repository.

Encountered Problems and Solutions

       GeoAPI and GO-1 Initiative

The GeoAPI library provides the Java GIS community with a common set of
interfaces based on OGC standards. Recently the GO-1 initiative has been
brought before the OGC as a common object representation of OGC concepts
across object oriented languages.

Several of the changes made to GeoTools to track the GeoAPI and the GO-1
initiative have resulted in a reduced feature set during the porting process. The GeoTools 2.1 branch has been scheduled to host the new capabilities required for the uDig project. The creation of this branch has been delayed due to GeoAPI and
the GO-1 initiative.

At a functional level the impact on the GeoTools library is limited to reprojection.
The uDig Project does not require reprojection services until Milestone 3.
The creation of the GeoServer 2.1 branch has been rescheduled to during the
Milestone 2 timeline. We have contacted several members of the GeoTools
community with expertise in reprojection to ensure a timely response to GeoAPI
changes. In addition, the company Polexis has offered the uDig project a
commercial implementation of the GO-1 rendering pipeline to use during
development.

       Grid Coverage Exchange

The GeoTools support raster information has become outdated. The GO-1
initiative has provided the Java GIS community with the concept of a Grid
Coverage Exchange (GCE) for access to raster information.

We have taken part in the specification of the GeoAPI interfaces for Grid
Coverage Exchange, and provided an implementation for GeoTools ArcGrid file
format.

       Availability of Web Registry Service Documentation

The available documentation of the OGC Web Registry Service is inadequate.
We have received the support of several OGC members with access to current
documentation. We have received a commitment to answer our implementation
questions as they arise via email.

Back to the top