Re: [tycho-user] How to automatically check upgrade paths?

Hi Tobias,

thanks for the reply.

> p2 should be able to update to everything that can be installed. For
> an update, p2 takes all root units and checks for newer versions. If
> you know what is in the existing installations, you should be able to
> derive what p2 will try to install.

Yes, that's what I thought: If you know which features/plugins exist in
an existing installation, you can simulate the update operation (or at
least the creation of the plan for that operation) for further
features/plugins.

> You can simulate this in the build by creating a product file for
> this purpose.

Can you be a bit more specific, in particular as to whether it would be
possible to check automatically, during the build, whether an update
operation would succeed?

Let's say I have a product file lying around and want to determine
whether our features (whose previous versions came with said product)
can be updated without conflicts. How could one use Maven+Tycho to check
this?

Best wishes,

Andreas
--
Codetrails.com – the knowledge transfer company

Back to the top