Re: [tycho-user] Why is Tycho manifest-first?

Am 17.11.2011 19:00, schrieb Igor Fedorenko:

> On 11-11-17 12:53 PM, Volker Wegert wrote:
>>
>> Am 16.11.2011 um 20:57 schrieb Max Rydahl Andersen:
>>> …manifest-first makes it much easier to migrate to from PDE-build
>>> and still be able to work with Eclipse PDE without additional
>>> overhead.
>>
>> I'm new to both Maven and Tycho, so maybe I got this wrong - but as
>> far as I understand: If you've got a p2 repository you can install
>> stuff from, you can use it as a dependency in an MANIFEST.MF-first
>> build approach. If you're out for a Mavenistic pom.xml-first
>> approach, all dependencies need to be retrievable by Maven. This
>> would limit the usable dependencies to the projects already converted
>> to this approach, right?
>>

> Not exactly. Generating p2 metadata for artifacts built using pom-first
> approach is a straightforward mechanical process and there is even an
> experimental nexus plugin that does this transparently for pom-first
> artifacts deployed to a nexus hosted repository.
>
> Going the other way, i.e. converting p2 repository to maven, is a much
> harder problem. It is probably impossible to to correct(!) p2->maven
> conversion in all cases, but some approximation is likely possible in
> most/all cases.

I've created a pretty good tool for this and it's mostly automatic.

Right now, it doesn't handle JAR bundles (OSGI bundles with just a
single JAR in them) correctly but that's the only case where I know that
it fails.

See http://wiki.eclipse.org/Maven_Tools_4_Eclipse

I'm in the middle of migrating the tool from Python (works but has some
odd dependencies) to Groovy. The migrations is 80% done; the most
important missing point is the ability to patch POMs.

Regards,