Re: [tycho-user] Why is Tycho manifest-first?

On 11-11-17 1:06 PM, Volker Wegert wrote:
Igor,

Am 17.11.2011 um 19:00 schrieb Igor Fedorenko:

On 11-11-17 12:53 PM, Volker Wegert wrote:
I'm new to both Maven and Tycho, so maybe I got this wrong - but
as far as I understand: If you've got a p2 repository you can
install stuff from, you can use it as a dependency in an
MANIFEST.MF-first build approach. If you're out for a Mavenistic
pom.xml-first approach, all dependencies need to be retrievable
by Maven. This would limit the usable dependencies to the
projects already converted to this approach, right?

Not exactly. Generating p2 metadata for artifacts built using
pom-first approach is a straightforward mechanical process and
there is even an experimental nexus plugin that does this
transparently for pom-first artifacts deployed to a nexus hosted
repository.

Going the other way, i.e. converting p2 repository to maven, is a
much harder problem. It is probably impossible to to correct(!)
p2->maven conversion in all cases, but some approximation is likely
possible in most/all cases.

That's exactly what I wanted to say. But that infers a kind of
reverse dependency, doesn't it? If I wanted to build a plugin using
Maven pom-first, I would have to wait until all of my dependencies
provided a pom for me to pull in, right?

Right. If your dependencies are only available from p2 repositories,
then manifest-first is easier.

BTW and a bit OT, is there a good Maven book anyone would recommend?

I am biased, but you may want to have a look at Sonatype maven books

[1] http://www.sonatype.com/Support/Books

--
Regards,
Igor