+1 akurtakov, mistria, HannesWell
-1 laeubi

So the decision is made. Tycho 3.0 will require Java 17 to run. The patch is ready (with some adjustments to make things work that way) .

On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 10:27 PM Hannes Wellmann <wellmann.hannes1@xxxxxxx> wrote:
If you prefer either +1 or -1 votes, then I vote for +1 (binding) for requiring Java-17.

Gesendet: Freitag, 16. September 2022 um 07:29 Uhr
Von: "Aleksandar Kurtakov" <akurtako@xxxxxxxxxx>
An: "Tycho developers list" <tycho-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Betreff: Re: [tycho-dev] Vote: Require Java 17 for Tycho 3.0

On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 8:15 AM Christoph Läubrich <laeubi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Actually there is no other force than that we have so much changed and
it becomes harder and harder to backport fixes to 2.7.x line that we
really should "get it out".

At least from my side, I won't mind to have many major versions, even
short after 3.x as the version number does not mean anything (to me) and
I don't see any reason to have 3.x for as long as possible ...

Beside I think it would be good to either vote for +1 or -1 because
there won't be much more votes we need any vote (don't know if there is
a quorum to reach ... but we should not complicate it too much)

There are 7 eligible voters as per https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/technology.tycho/who so in theory we can have 3 more. I now see that I haven't set a deadline for the vote so let's say that EOD Tue Sep 20th is the deadline - that should give enough time for everyone to vote and still be able to move for the planned release date if we agree on that.

Am 15.09.22 um 21:30 schrieb Hannes Wellmann:
> My vote is: 0 (binding)
> As elaborated on the mentioned issue I think it would be beneficial to
> move to Java-17, but we should not risk foreseeable/expected technical
> issues. But since I cannot judge on the risk I vote neutral.
> An alternative would be to postpone the release to gain more confidence.
> Greetings
> *Gesendet:* Donnerstag, 15. September 2022 um 21:03 Uhr
> *Von:* "Mickael Istria" <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx>
> *An:* "Tycho developers list" <tycho-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> *Betreff:* Re: [tycho-dev] Vote: Require Java 17 for Tycho 3.0
> +1.
> My current experience with projects I migrated is that Java 17 allows to
> concretely achieve higher code quality and better maintainability as
> some patterns leave less room for errors and increase expressiveness. I
> also think that it's in the best interest of the world to encourage
> moving to newer Java versions and that since the version that runs Tycho
> is not correlated with the target version of what is built, it's not a
> big constraint to require Java 17 to build.
> In general, devtools and build technologies are the best one to migrate
> forward; and lead the ecosystem.

Aleksandar Kurtakov
Red Hat Eclipse Team