Re: [tycho-dev] Advanced Integration Test for Tycho

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 3:29 PM Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 1:53 PM Christoph Läubrich <laeubi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It is often hard to "strip-down" a problem/project so it fits int a
Tycho Unit and/or Integrationtest that could be checked in into
Git-Repository, maybe it is sometimes even not possible because of
licensing concerns (license not compatible with EPL, ...)

Do you have specific examples?
IMO, stripping down project and problems is often a huge part of the resolution, and usually a mandatory step to identify cause and fix. I think it's not something we should try to skip.

What I think about is, if it would be possible to have some kind of
"Advanced Integration Tests", that simply check-out a set of projects
from Github and builds them with the current Tycho-Snapshot?

I'm afraid this wouldn't be reliable: what about changing content and so on? What if we need to change multiple tests? We'd need to submit a dozen of PRs to a dozen of different GitHub repos?
Also, I'm afraid by doing so, no-one will make the effort of writing proper tests, and that the test suite will just become an aggregation of lots of "too big" tests which lacks focus on one specific issue, making debugging and maintenance much harder.

That way it
would be possible for users to supply a simple git-hub Url with a
project currently failing and we can then integrate this into the
test-suite use for debugging and alike.

Users can supply that and do it already, but it doesn't mean it's good enough to become an (integration) test IMO.
If no-one has interest in stripping down the case, to resolve it and to make an integration test out of it; then it probably means the issue is not worth being fixed.

Please note that there are security and legal concerns about fetching and building random git repos from the internet.