Re: [tycho-dev] tycho vs tycho-extras: what's the value?

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 1:39 PM Matthias Sohn <matthias.sohn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 10:48 AM Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So here is my proposal of execution
Phase 1
1. we move all the content of org.eclipse.tycho.extras into a top-level "tycho-extras" folder in the same repo
2. From org.eclipse.tycho (non-extras) Git repo, we fetch the top of tycho.extras and merge it
  -> This should result in a merge commit with 2 branches of history: one about tycho-core and the other about tycho-extras, so history is still there
  -> the tycho-extras folder is not part of tycho-core

you should be able to also fetch the tycho-extras maintenance branches since they are named tycho-extras-0.x.y so they don't clash with the branches in the tycho repo.

and you can also fetch the tags, since they are named tycho-extras-<version> so they don't clash with tags in the tycho repository.

2a. make the old tycho-extras repository read-only and keep it around to retain the review history which is stored in Gerrit's database in the currently used 2.14 version.
2b. as soon as Gerrit has been upgraded to 2.16 and migrated from database to notedb storage then all review meta data is also stored in git using git notes and it should
be possible to also fetch the review history from tycho-extras into the tycho repository. After reindexing the project it should be possible to also merge the review history
(change and patchset meta data, review comments etc) of tycho-extras merged into the tycho repository. Not sure if that works flawlessly since I didn't try this scenario yet.

3. we tweak the existing core CI jobs to build tycho and then build tycho-extras (like it's already done in https://ci.eclipse.org/tycho/job/tycho-build-with-maven-snapshots/ , and we disable tycho-extras builds

We wait for some time for some issues to be popping up and remediate them, and when we are happy with it

Phase 2
1. we refactor the pom: tycho root pom.xml references tycho-extras, the tycho-extras pom takes the root pom.xml as parent
2. we adapt jobs so the build of tycho & tycho-extras become only 1 step

And then, we'll be all set and we can improve things further continuously.

Any objection?
@Sievers, Jan specifically, as project lead, do you support this?