Are you referring to the case where software linked to GPL software must also be licensed under GPL? If so then I believe invoking a command line to a GPL program is permitted without needing to making the software GPL too.

I also note that the mercurial eclipse plugin is licensed under EPL although this is not hosted by eclipse.

Simon

On 28 November 2012 08:34, Sievers, Jan <jan.sievers@xxxxxxx> wrote:
AFAICT mercurial is licensed under GPLv2; this is probably a no-go for hosting the code at eclipse for license reasons.
(Even if there is no compile-time dependency to hg).
That said, there are probably ways to deploy the binaries to maven central [1] so people can still use it.
Should you decide to do this, don't use the org.eclipse.tycho maven groupId.

Regards,
Jan

[1] https://docs.sonatype.org/display/Repository/Sonatype+OSS+Maven+Repository+Usage+Guide

From: tycho-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tycho-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Simon Goodall
Sent: Dienstag, 27. November 2012 22:45
To: tycho-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tycho-dev] mercurial build timestamp provider

Hi,

I've done some work to build a mercurial build timestamp provider as an alternative to the jgit provider in the current tycho.extras. It is possible to get this included in tycho.extras and if so, what is the process?

I've made a fork on github containing my plugin, see [1].

It is largely based on the existing jgit timestamp provider. Unlike the jgit version, this plugin invokes a mercurial executable. This has an obvious problem of failing to work if mercurial (i.e. "hg") is not available on the PATH.

[1] https://github.com/drsgoodall/tycho.extras

Regards,

Simon