Re: [tycho-dev] [tycho-user] how write own tycho plug-in? any tutorial? api?

On 07/25/2012 12:14 PM, Igor Fedorenko wrote:
I completely agree that Tycho extensibility story "is not good enough",
although I'd use much strongly languahe myself :-). At the same time,
I think it is a chicken-and-egg problem, at least partially. We need
feedback/patches from real exploiters writing real extensions to improve
our apis.
I think APIs are not that bad, process to write a plugin is easy (it's standard Maven + dep on Tycho), process to write an extension is easy to understand and mimic by looking at component.xml.
But people need to understand that Tycho is an extension of Maven and that most of their use-cases can be fixed in "the Maven way", by finding a plug-in to use on the right phase. And in case they can't find what they want, they can write a plugin in the Maven way too. There is no additional things to know to get started.
About Tycho extensions, it's probably better to ensure people share their use-case on the mailing-list rather than letting them develop 10x the same thing on their side. Tycho is still young and some concepts are still to discover. I'm afraid that if we encourage everyone to write his own plugin or extension, we miss some use-cases that are necessary to know in order to bring Tycho (and CBI) to maturity.

It's more a concern about the status of Tycho: is it mature enough to encourage external extensions, or should we focus on getting it more complete and gather use-cases instead?
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat

Back to the top