Re: [tracecompass-dev] Question about working with Kernel callstacks

Hi,

To add to Denis's answer, indeed, it is possible that you may get the symbols automatically if you also enable in your trace the `lttng_ust_statedump*` userspace events. If you don't have userspace tracing, you may add the traced application's binaries in the `Configure symbols` menu described in the links.

I don't remember if the symbols are relative to the binary or absolute or what and if all methods of configuring symbols work well, but apparently I did know at some point and wrote the doc [3]! If/when you get symbols, make sure they make sense though.

[3] http://archive.eclipse.org/tracecompass.incubator/doc/org.eclipse.tracecompass.incubator.kernel.doc.user/User-Guide.html

Geneviève

On 2021-07-27 6:10 a.m., Petrovic, Denis via tracecompass-dev wrote:

Hello,

Trace Compass does indeed offer a mechanism for translating addresses to symbol names, and it seems that this is what you’re looking for.

You can find a well-written tutorial with example traces and symbols here [1], and more information here [2].

I haven’t got much experience on the subject, so maybe it won’t be that easy in your particular use-case. Fingers crossed :)

[1]: https://github.com/tuxology/tracevizlab/blob/e5c5e04050820791f33f9449455a90579040485b/labs/201-lttng-userspace-tracing/README.md#task-3-understanding-the-symbols

[2]: http://archive.eclipse.org/tracecompass/doc/stable/org.eclipse.tracecompass.doc.user/LTTng-UST-Analyses.html

Denis.