|Re: [tracecompass-dev] How to avoid creating a dedicated project for Trace Compass|
Right now, the only thing that should work is adding a C/C++ nature to a Trace Compass project. Although I haven't tried it in a while. Doing that, you are still have the "Traces" folder. There is a lot of code that relies on the presence of the Traces folder right now. It would be great to be able to make this more flexible so that we could have traces in any kind of existing project or other nature.
I can see several things that can be done to improve things, depending on what you want to achieve and how far you want to go.
- Add a method to add nature to existing project. Perhaps in TmfProjectRegistry?
- Once there is a method, we could create a simple wizard to "Add Trace Compass nature"
- To be able to name the Traces folder differently, we should try to remove TmfTracesFolder.TRACES_FOLDER_NAME and fix the places it was used to instead get the toplevel trace folder. It should be possible to use a combination of TmfProjectElement.getTracesFolder and TmfProjectRegistry.getProject in a lot of cases
- We can already rename the trace folders in the user interface (F2, context menu), so I think there should be a programmatic way to rename "Traces" to "something" right now (assuming the rest works). We could make a new method in TmfTraceFolder instead of keeping the code in the rename dialog.
- Removing Trace folders altogether: I don't know how feasible that would be or if it's even desirable. I think we'd have to do some investigation about that.
I don't think we will be working on those points in the short term but any contributions that can help improve things in that area would be greatly appreciated! Speaking as a CDT and Trace Compass committer, I personally would like to see a better interaction between traces from Trace Compass and C/C++ projects in the workspace so we can provide a nice development workflow.
From: tracecompass-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [tracecompass-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of Robert Kiss [robert.kiss@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, 07 January 2016 7:01 AM
Subject: [tracecompass-dev] How to avoid creating a dedicated project for Trace Compass
Is it possible to use Trace Compass in an existing project, eg a C/C++ project?
I would like to set a different name and location then the default "Traces" in the root of the project.
Of course, I'm looking to do this programatically.
I already tried to add the org.eclipse.linuxtools.tmf.project.nature nature to my project but it shows the "Traces" folder twice into the root of the project, once as a simple folder and once with TC specific annotations.
Back to the top