Re: [tools-pmc] PMC Approval Requested for Linux Tools 3.1.0 Release

Thanks Doug,

Regarding our release schedule and time for developing features; it depends on the
features being implemented.

That said, we never attempt to tackle something too big in an SR1 release.
For example, we might add a new view or profiling tool or add remote support to an existing
tool.  Sometimes, just fixing an issue requires some additional APIs and thus a
minor release bump.

We don't like restricting ourselves to a point release as that means the end-user isn't
going to see any new functionality until SR2 or next year.  There's always a list of things we
can do that would make the C/C++ Linux developer's life easier and more productive.  While I don't have any figures,
I believe a lot of our users get us through the EPP downloads so adding a December release probably wouldn't
result in a lot of testing and bug feedback for us until after SR2.

When we plan our next release we determine if we will be adding anything requiring a minor release bump
or whether a point release is all that is needed.

For stuff that is grandiose, we normally keep that on a separate branch that can be
merged into the yearly release after SR2 is out, but we don't rule out putting such items an SR2 minor
release if they are completed in time and won't impact current functionality.

-- Jeff J.