RE: [technology-pmc] Re: [tools-pmc] Newsreader project

Wim, Eric,

New top-level projects are not created from new projects which are in
incubation[1]. The way the Eclipse process works is that once we have a
collection of mature projects in a domain which want to band together to
form a TLP, the Board will review and approve an approved charter.
Currently, ECF is the only mature project on your list of suggested domains.

I would suggest that you get started in Technology and re-visit the idea of
a new top-level project once your new project(s) have exited incubation.

Please note that these comments are not in any way meant to dampen your
enthusiasm for creating a "Collaboration" or "Social" top level project. I
think it's a very interesting idea. But I believe we need a couple more
mature projects in the domain before such a TLP should be proposed to the
Board.

I hope this helps!

[1] The reason this is true is that we tried it early in our evolution as a
community and it did not work very well. PMCs need to have some prior
experience with shipping Eclipse open source.

Mike Milinkovich
Office: +1.613.224.9461 x228
Mobile: +1.613.220.3223
mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx