Re: [tools-pmc] VE incubator - FOCUS

John,

Bjorn has talked about bending the rules, but as far as I understand the
rules and how they've applied to every other project so far (and EMF/EMFT
in particular), a component can only take advantage of parallel IP if it is
in a conforming incubating project.  A conforming incubating project has
all downloads clearly marked as incubating and displays the little
incubating egg on its pages.  I think only options 3 and 4 fall within the
rules as they have been interpreted and enforced to date.   It's be happy
for the rules to be different, but that's why I have an EMFT project and
that's why the Platform and WTP created incubating projects...

Ed Merks/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
mailto: merks@xxxxxxxxxx
905-413-3265  (t/l 969)

             John
             Duimovich/Ottawa/
             IBM@IBMCA                                                  To
             Sent by:                  pombredanne@xxxxxxxxx, Tools PMC
             tools-pmc-bounces         mailing list
             @eclipse.org              <tools-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc
                                       "'Tools PMC mailing list'"
             10/22/2007 04:02          <tools-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
             PM                        tools-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [tools-pmc] VE incubator -
             Please respond to         FOCUS
             Tools PMC mailing
                   list
             <tools-pmc@eclips
                  e.org>

Philippe

Thanks for persevering.

My vote is +1 on #1 below ... I clarified which project the component would
be a member of below to make it clear it was a component of VE.

-1/ an incubating component within VE (a novel approach) would be
preferred.

I will consult with the EMO if this is allowed within the current incubator
framework

John

 "Philippe Ombredanne"
 <pombredanne@xxxxxxxxx>
 Sent by:                                                               To
 tools-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx                   "'Tools PMC mailing
                                                 list'"
                                                 <tools-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 10/22/2007 02:05 PM                                                    cc

                                                                   Subject
           Please respond to                     [tools-pmc] VE incubator
     pombredanne@xxxxxxxxx; Please               - FOCUS
               respond to
         Tools PMC mailing list
        <tools-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>

All:
At that stage I would appreciate that we keep focused on my initial
request.
So I am start a new thread.
I begin to be utterly confused but not yet hopelessly. VE is an all
volunteer project, so have some mercy.

The only thing we need (for VE at least) is some flexibility:
VE Committers have expressed their whish to keep the current core code base
and project as is, not move back to incubation. I shall respect that.

We have new contributions comming from serious, law-abiding individuals and
organizations, and I want to keep up our fledgling momentum.

I can do it several ways:
-1/ an incubating component (a novel approach) would be preferred.
-2/ an incubating project under VE.
-3/ a tools incubator
-4/ a complete separate project.

I am not asking asking for a discussion, but a simple answer on 1, 2, 3 or
4
so I can move on.

Cordially
--