Re: [tools-pmc] Re: Changing the name of PHP IDE Project to PDT

I'm ok with the component name.

I do want to point out that traditional conventions at eclipse create the project web site at www.eclipse.org/component-name   (CDT/JDT) and now PDT.  This root web site naming scheme also ensures that we don't get project package conflicts

Currently the web site is www.eclipse.org/php and to be consistent we'll need to add www.eclipse.org/pdt  . I am assuming we can leave the old one for URL compatibility.

John

Bjorn Freeman-Benson <bjorn.freeman-benson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: tools-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/20/2006 05:24 PM

Please respond to
Tools PMC mailing list <tools-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Yossi Leon <yossi@xxxxxxxx>
cc
tools-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
[tools-pmc] Re: Changing the name of PHP IDE Project to PDT

Yossi,
I think this is a fine idea. Thinking about potential conflicts, I can imagine that the Pascal tools might want the same "PDT" name - no, wait, we don't have any Pascal tools... Let's see: Perl tools? Python tools? ... nope, we don't have those either and the Dynamic Language Toolkit (DLTK) project is going to cover them under DLTK. So I think we're completely safe...

- Bjorn

Yossi Leon wrote:

Hi All,

The PHP project was officially called when proposed to Eclipse.org PDT (PHP Development Tool).
During that time, it was changed to PHP IDE which doesn’t fully describe the project and also doesn’t follow the standard of other tools such as CDT and JDT.
I would suggest (after Andi Gutmans was consulting Mike about it as well) to change the name back to PDT just before we going on the process of release candidates.
There shouldn’t be too many changes since the plugins are named as org.eclipse.php.* and also the web site.

Please let me know whether it’s approved so I can continue with the process.

Yossi Leon

Product Manager, Development Tools
& PHP IDE Project Leader
yossi@xxxxxxxx http://www.zend.com/ +1-212-645-0040