[technology-pmc] Re: [iam-dev] Advice on how to request pre-req dependency for the Maven Embedder

I've consulted with the IP Due Diligence team on this issue. Here's their response:

It seems in this case, the project can only continue development if the Maven Embedder is checked into the Eclipse repository. If this is true, the project may go ahead and raise the CQ. We will check licensing compatibility as well as provenance. If those two pass, the CQ can be approved for checkin based on Parallel IP with the understanding that full due diligence will not be completed until a Gold version is released and attached at a later date to the CQ. We have noted that the project is also referring to Maven Embedder dependencies which do not appear to be Apache hosted. As such, there may be a requirement for multiple CQs in this case.

Of course, the project will have to realize they cannot release with any code that has not been fully reviewed and approved.
Does this make sense?

Wayne

Abel Muiño wrote:
Hello PMC,

The IAM (http://www.eclipse.org/iam) team would like to request pmc approval
and guidance for declaring a pre-req dependency on the maven embedder.

The maven embedder is a set of libraries that allow the use of maven from a
host application (in this case, IAM).

The maven embedder is still under development (i.e. not released) so we are
asking for a pre-req dependency to be able to use snapshots of current
development. Our goal will be to process CQs for the embedder components
once they reach the beta or release status, as adviced by the IP team.

The maven embedder is part of maven 3.0 and developed at the apache
foundation. Its dependencies are either ASL or MIT licensed.

The packaging of the embedder components as an eclipse bundle (and feature)
is currently done on a non-eclipse project at googlecode (
http://q4e.googlecode.com). Another packaging is also available from the m2e
project (also outside of eclipse).