Re: [technology-pmc] Project charter

Title: New Page 1

Mike Milinkovich wrote:

The original intent of the “research” stream was nothing like what we currently call an incubator. This was conceived of by Dr. Brian Barry and the notion was that we would host pure academic research projects at Eclipse.

I agree that that was the original intent, but once we decided that all projects had to conform to the IP Policy, even in incubation, we effectively killed that stream. As a result, academic projects find no benefit and lots of pain to being part of Eclipse and thus no longer come to Eclipse. If we really want an academic/research stream, then we need a different IP Policy for them.

Actually, I don’t agree that we have “…never done any of that…”. The ECESIS project was around for quite a while. And there is a project proposal floating around right now that is interested in getting into learning materials.

Yep, and ECESIS did not accomplish anything.  So, um, I rest my case :-|

Those are actually quite specialized skills. If we could create a community of people interested in providing materials for Eclipse projects, that would be a good thing IMHO.

I agree, but I don't think we need a project to do that much the same way that the community of translators are not committers on Babel - Babel has enabled that community to grow, but that community is not Babel...  In other words, not everything we do in a community building vein needs to be a project: projects are about restricting write-access to code and ensuring IP Policy conformance of code. For communities that do not need those characteristics, projects are the wrong structure.

- Bjorn

--
[end of message]

Back to the top