RE: [technology-pmc] Project charter

(c.a) The reason for removing the "research stream" is that it is covered by the incubator's stream so we don't need to mention it a second time.

The original intent of the “research” stream was nothing like what we currently call an incubator. This was conceived of by Dr. Brian Barry and the notion was that we would host pure academic research projects at Eclipse. Projects that would never exit incubation and would likely never yield a commercially useful result. But projects that would help push Eclipse-based technology into entirely new areas. There were a few projects that fell into this in the past, most notably MDDi and GMT which have been more-or-less  floundering since they moved to the Modeling project.

I will leave it to you folks to decide if this concept has sufficient merit for it to remain part of the charter.

(c.b) The reason for removing the "education stream" is we've never done any of that and the work along those lines that has been done has been done inside every project - as it should be. We shouldn't have people thinking that educational things can only be done in the Technology PMC.

Actually, I don’t agree that we have “…never done any of that…”. The ECESIS project was around for quite a while. And there is a project proposal floating around right now that is interested in getting into learning materials.

Although ultimately every project has to do some education, there is value in having project(s) focused on providing some education infrastructure and some basic materials. And frankly, 99% of the committers who work on Eclipse open source projects have neither the skills nor the interest in creating and maintaining decent training or education materials. Those are actually quite specialized skills. If we could create a community of people interested in providing materials for Eclipse projects, that would be a good thing IMHO.

Back to the top