Re: [technology-pmc] Today's Technology PMC conference call is canceled

During the last PMC meeting, I was asked to propose revised wording
around the committer guidelines for the meeting we were to have today.
Issue #4 below is what I came up with, issues #1-3 are minor thoughts
about other parts of the charter.

Cliff

ISSUE #1: "Users who contribute software or research become contributors"
PROPOSED:
--"Users who contribute software or research are referred to as
'Contributors'."

ISSUE #2: "Contributors who has the trust of the Project's Committers"
PROPOSED:
 --"Contributors who have earned the trust of the Project's Committers", or
 --"Contributors who have proven their merit to the Project's Committers"

ISSUE #3: "A Committer has write access to the...and/or bug tracking system."
-- might imply that contributors do not have ability to create new
bugs or add to existing ones.   Can't think of a better way to word it
right now -- might not be worth changing...

ISSUE #4:
---BEFORE---
How a Contributor demonstrate trustworthiness to a Project's
Committers is defined by each Project's Committer and the PMC. Without
restricting or requiring the Projects to follow these mechanisms, here
are some recommended practices:

   * A Contributor can give frequent and valuable contributions a
Project or a component of a Project, or
   * A Contributor can have a extensive public record of contribution
to similar projects or technologies, or
   * A Contributor can be well known to be trustworthy to all of a
Project's Committers

The process agreed on by a Project's Committers and the PMC must
follow the Eclipse principles by being open and transparent.

---AFTER---
To be consistent with the principles of openness, transparency, and
meritocracy, Committers should consider the following factors when
nominating new Committers:

   * the frequency and quality of the nominee's contributions to the
Project or to a component of the Project
   * the extent of the nominee's public contributions to similar
projects or technologies, or
   * the degree to which the nominee is considered a recognized
expert in the applicable fields by the Project's Contributors and
Committers

---
and then I'd bring the following paragraph up to immediately follow
this section:

"Becoming a Committer is a privilege that is earned by contributing
and showing discipline and good judgment. It is a responsibility that
should be neither given nor taken lightly, nor it is a right based on
employment by an Eclipse Member company. "

Cliff