Re: [technology-pmc] EPF: Official voting record - new Committers - Batch2

Bjorn,

below you find an overview of the 21 (some only suggested at this stage) committers and why they are committers. Also, I outline my thinking around committers. I would be happy to receive further guidance on whether my thinking is appropriate.

Note that we have been slow in getting the project uptospeed and adopting a transparent process, such as
  • proper usage of epf-dev vs. closed email lists <fixed 1-2 weeks ago>
  • proper announcements of meetings ahead of time <now fixed>
  • proper meeting minutes <fixed a couple of weeks ago>
  • Ongoing incremental improvements to our builds <expect results in next few weeks>
The project has only gone through one iteration, and the focus so far has been much more on planning than development. This will change as we go in to iteration 2 this week.

IBM Comitters (11)
  • Peter Haumer and Todd Fredrickson - key developers of the underlying metamodel (SPEM), and they continue refining it, and Peter drives the OMG work, and they jointly drive the evolution of the tool to reflect metamodel enhancements.
  • Charlie Yan, Jim Thario, Kelvin Low - has developed and continue develop the tool <There are other people in the background doing work, but these are the committers>
  • Bruce MacIsaac, Ricardo Balduino, Jim Ruehlin - has developed BUP, and continue evolving it
  • Naveena Bereny - been working on developer relations for the last 8 months, and continues to do so. I want her to have write access to the website.
  • Jao Tham - manages all the builds
  • Per Kroll - Project lead and BUP developer

Oher committers:
  • DJ Devilliers, Ivar Jacobson Intl (IJI) - IJI are donating Essential Unified Process (EssUP), and is backed up by a number of other contributors within IJI. DJ has many years of proven trackrecord in this space, and has participated in the 1st committer meeting in Atlanta, as well as other meetings.
  • Brian Lyons, Number Six, lead for the BUP component, and has driven close to a dozen meetings on BUP over the last 2 months
  • Steve Adolph, UBC, front person for a number of people at UBC. Active participant in Atlantic face-to-face meeting, and most other BUP meetings. Long background in this space, book author, already come with many creative propsals for improvements.
  • Brian Haughton, BearingPoint. Participated in Atlanta meeting and many other meetings, and will work on various BUP improvements.
  • Scott Ambler, Ambysoft, creator of among others Agile Modeling, which he is donating to EPF. This will be a key building block for the agile component. Author of 16 books.
  • Kirti Vaidya, Covansys, participated in Atlanta meeting and most other meetings. Many years of proven trackrecord. Will work on among others mgmt aspects of the process.
  • Asier Azaceta, European Software Institute. He is front person for a 5-person team that will contribute and evolve material around MDA as well as process enactment. Host of the 2nd committer meeting in Bilbao, Spain.
  • Sigurd Hopen, 2-Pro Mentor, participant in Atlanta meeting and other meetings, with a long track record in this space. Will work with metamodel and base content
  • Kurt Sandh and Chris Sibbald, Telelogic. Kurt participated in Atlanta meeting, both have been active in BUP meetings, working on among others MDA and requirements mgmt.

High-level overview of who is contributing with what can be found on
http://www.eclipse.org/epf/general/f2f_Atl_minutes.php

In short, if you look at the current downloadable, what is there has all been produced by the 11 IBMers, so that would not warrant any others to be committers. However, each of the other 10 committers, and their company share some common characteristics:
- They have done a non-significant time and financial committment to EPF through participation in face-to-face and other meetings
- They have strong credentials with past proven track record
- They have made clear committments in terms of what contributions to do in the future
- They have been active participants in discussions, showcasing good judgment and skills

Now, this does not mean that they will live up to their (and their companies) promisses, but at this stage of the project, I would rather go with somewhat of a leap of face, and then in ~6 months from now, ask the committers that have not delivered upon their promisses to excuse themselves.

I also do understand that as the project moves into a development mode, new participants needs to showcase past deliverables, rather than active participation and committments on what to deliver.

Does the above make sense?

Per Kroll
STSM, Manager Methods: RUP / RMC
Project Lead: Eclipse Process Framework
Rational Software, IBM Corp
408-342-3815

Bjorn Freeman-Benson <bjorn.freeman-benson@xxxxxxxxxxx>

02/27/2006 06:57 PM

Per Kroll/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS
cc
Technology PMC <technology-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
Re: [technology-pmc] EPF: Official voting record - new Committers -        Batch2

Per,
21+ committers is a lot of committers - are these people actually doing anything?  Have these new committers demonstrated their ability to follow the project's processes?  Do they write good code? Good documentation? Has their work been peer reviewed?  I don't see any of that evidence on the mailing list.

I quote from the Charter (
http://www.eclipse.org/projects/dev_process/Eclipse_Standard_TopLevel_Charter_v1.0.php)
  • Developers who give frequent and valuable contributions to a Project, ... can have their status promoted to that of a "Committer" for that Project or component respectively.
  • Active participation in the user newsgroup and the appropriate developer mailing lists is a responsibility of all Committers, ...
  • Becoming a Committer is a privilege that is earned by contributing and showing discipline and good judgment. It is a responsibility that should be neither given nor taken lightly.
Please clarify the situation here.

Thanks,
Bjorn

Per Kroll wrote:

Hi,

I hereby notify the PMC about a yes vote for the 9 new committers listed below.

Last week, we also voted yes on 5 new committers per

http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/epf-dev/msg00022.html

Finally, the EPF team before that had 7 committers. This provides us with a total of 21 committers elected.

More committers are expected to be voted in after the next face-to-face committer meeting in Bilbao, Spain on March 6-7.

Finally, we also plan to have a 3rd committer face-to-face meeting in conjunction with EclipseConn on March 23-24.

Thanks

Per Kroll
STSM, Manager Methods: RUP / RMC
Project Lead: Eclipse Process Framework
Rational Software, IBM Corp
408-342-3815

----- Forwarded by Per Kroll/Cupertino/IBM on 02/27/2006 12:01 PM -----
Per Kroll/Cupertino/IBM

02/27/2006 12:00 PM

epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Official voting record - new Committers - Batch2

The following people have been voted in as committers, with 3 yes, and 0 obstain and vetos.

- Kurt Sand - Telelogic

- Chris Sibbald - Telelogic

- Brian Haughton – BearingPoint

- Bruce MacIsaac - IBM

- Jim Ruehlin - IBM

- Todd Fredrickson - IBM

- Naveena Bereny - IBM

- Scott Ambler - AmbySoft

- DJ de Villiers - Ivar Jacobson International

Voting record are per the following links

http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/epf-dev/msg00020.html
http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/epf-dev/msg00021.html
http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/epf-dev/msg00026.html

I will now notify the PMC of the results, and tomorrow fill in the forms on behalf of the PMC.

Thanks

Per Kroll
STSM, Manager Methods: RUP / RMC
Project Lead: Eclipse Process Framework
Rational Software, IBM Corp
408-342-3815

----- Forwarded by Per Kroll/Cupertino/IBM on 02/27/2006 11:57 AM -----
Per Kroll/Cupertino/IBM

02/20/2006 01:54 PM

epf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Vote on new Committers - Batch2

Hi,

we need to vote on new committers, batch 2. We need 3 yes, and no veto to accept a new committer.

I am voting yes through this e-mail.

If there are other people that expect to become committers, but are not on the list below, please send me a note asap and we will do one more vote. I do not want to vote on people that are still iffy on whether they will be committers or not, and I know many organizations are still finalizing who should be a committer.

The following people have voting rights (and no others need to reply):

- Peter Haumer

- Ricardo Balduino

- Jim Thario

- Per Kroll

- Charlie Yan

- Kelvin Low

- Jao Tham

We need +3 of you to respond with Yes. You can also Obstain or Veto. If you veto, you need to provide a reason for your veto within 24 hours, or your veto is ignored.

<The people that were voted on last week has not yet become confirmed committers, and does hence not yet have the right to vote. I am filing the forms (#3 on
http://www.eclipse.org/legal/newcommitter.php) for you today, and if you have done #2, and #4, it should only take a few more days.>

- Kurt Sand - Telelogic

- Chris Sibbald - Telelogic

- Brian Haughton – BearingPoint

- Bruce MacIsaac - IBM

- Jim Ruehlin - IBM

- Todd Fredrickson - IBM

- Naveena Bereny - IBM

- Scott Ambler - AmbySoft

- DJ de Villiers - Ivar Jacobson International

Again, if you expected your name here, and it is not, it is because I am still uncertain of whether you are firm as a committer. Please send me a note confirming that you should be a committer.

For those in Europe that has expressed interest, but have not yet had a chance to become fully engaged, we may wait until you had a chance to attend the March 6-7 meeting before making you committers.