[swordfish-dev] RE: Alternatives for WSDL selection from registry

of course A1 more easy for me, but
ok, if  all think that A2 is better, I try to implement it quickly.

and start right now.
From: swordfish-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [swordfish-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Oliver Wolf [oliver.wolf@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, August 28, 2009 4:55 PM
To: Swordfish Developer Discussions
Subject: [swordfish-dev] Alternatives for WSDL selection from registry

Fellow Swordfishers,

as discussed before, I see two ways to improve usability of the ³select WSDL
from registry² interface.

Alternative 1 (minimal effort):
-------------------------------

Leave everything as it is, but add a text message describing the current
state of the registry (see mockup Alternative1.png).

The text message to be displayed depends on the following conditions:

1. If no registry URL has been entered in the Swordfish preferences:

"Please setup a registry URL in Preferences->Swordfish->Registry."

2. If a registry URL has been entered, but communication failed:

"The Service Registry is unavailable. Please check the URL in
Preferences->Swordfish->Registry and make sure that the Service Registry is
running."

3. If the Service Registry returns an empty list of registered services:

"The Service Registry does not contain any entries."

However, showing the registry entries directly on the wizard pane is not a
good idea, IMHO. If the list is long the small size of the selection box
makes it cumbersome to use and handling communication errors is problematic.
This leads me to

Alternative 2:
--------------

Analogous to selecting a WSDL from the file system, I suggest that we just
add a "Browse..." button and pop up a new dialog that presents the registry
entries. If the registry does not contain any entries, the list is empty. If
communication fails, an error dialog is shown instead of the selection
deialog. If no registry URL has been entered, the "Service registry" radio
button is inactive. (see mockup Alternative2.png)

Any comments?

Cheers,
Oliver

Back to the top