[stp-dev] Planning for STP 1.0

Hi Guys,

Ganymede is just around the corner now, so it's time to start thinking an planning around what it is we want to ship with that release. There's been lots of new components coming in, refactoring & new feature development happening and it's better that we now start thinking about what we want to get to a releasable state in June.

First thing we need to consider is the release number, it's 1.0, and the first version of STP that we'll have to really stand over in terms of API's, extension points etc.

So I've spent some time over the last few days trying to get a basics of a plan together and thought that the concept of themes for the release would make sense, so I'm proposing the following as the four main themes to STP 1.0 [1]

 * Integration
 * Stabilization
 * Feature Completeness
 * Build System Completeness

You can get a little more explanation from the wiki link at [1]. I've deliberately left out any reference to new feature development. There's enough features in STP right now IMO and we should concentrate on getting them as solid as possible over the next 6 months. So the focus is on getting what have solid, usable and useful to people.

Now, *every* sub-project needs to be represented on the plan. I will ensure that SC, SOAS and build system are fully up to date by next week so you will see what our intentions are. Jerry, Stephane, Antony, Antoine & Adrian M, if you need any assistance from me, please shout, but can you spend some time updating the plan to outline what you hope to get into 1.0? I can appreciate the newer projects to STP might not be ready for 1.0 in June so we may need to make some time to talk about that.

I will be discussing this plan in more detail tomorrow at our weekly meeting. If this time does not suit, please let me know and I can arrange a follow on time for those based in the US.

Regards,
Adrian.

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/STP/STP_1.0_Planning

Registered Number: 171387