Re: [stp-dev] Look and feel proposal for integration of XEF and WTP-based policy editors

Two more thoughts after hitting send.

1. Maybe we should conform to the interface naming as done in many other Eclipse interfaces by putting a capital I in front of the name, so e.g. IPolicyDetailEditor and IPolicyDetailCallback.
2. We haven't figured out how to pass the Schema Catalogue to the XEF editor yet. The current XEF editor takes a SchemaProvider as part of the Editor Input constructor.
In the concall a few weeks ago we discussed integration with other policy catalogues. Do we need an argument on the IPolicyDetailEditor.openEditor() API to pass on the current catalogue?

Cheers,

David

David Bosschaert wrote:
Hi Jerry, Andrei,

I read your comments and agree in general. I do have some additional thoughts which I'm putting in this mail.

On how the details editor should behave in the following case:
  <wsp:All>
    <!-- assertion 1 -->
    <!-- assertion 2 -->
    <wsp:All> <!-- assertion 3 --> </wsp:All>
    <wsp:ExactlyOne> <!-- assertion 4 --> </wsp:ExactlyOne>
  </wsp:All>
I think I would prefer option 3 as outlined but I agree that we should do the simplest thing first and mainly focus on the integration.

On the editor interface, I know I'm a little bit pedantic here, but I would suggest the following:
public interface PolicyDetailEditor {
    IEditorPart openEditor(final String name, final InputStream source, final IProject ctxProject, final PolicyDetailCallback callback) throws Exception;
    void setProperties(final Map<String, Object> props);
}
The policy editor needs a project where it can store temporary files, so that's why I added it. The source does not have to be a file in that project.
For the properties I would suggest a Map<String, Object> or a Map<String, String> instead of a Properties object.
And why not rename it to PolicyDetailEditor...

On the callback interface, I would suggest:
public interface PolicyDetailCallback {
    Object getData(String ctxID);
    void onSave(final InputStream source) throws Exception;
    void onClose();
}
I'm curious what the onError() that was in your proposal would be used for. In the current XEF editor, when an error occurs, it is simply logged to the PDE Error log and the system continues. I wonder what the high-level editor would do with any error over and above that.
I added a getData() method. The XEF Policy editor supports a mechanism where context-specific information can be obtained, which can be used to populate the editor with suggested data. As an example consider a policy that needs the name of an operation as its value. The XEF editor can be annotated to make a callback into the application to find out what the possible operations are. This callback would be made with a context ID, e.g. "wsdl.operations" which could be understood by the installed callback handler. A loosely typed getData() as above would facilitate such callbacks...

Anyway, just a few thoughts.

Best regards,

David

Andrei Shakirin wrote:
Hi David,

Ok, great. I will be the whole next week on JavaPolis conference in Antwerpen, so let discuss it in detail 17, 18 December, if you will not be on vacation.

Regards,
Andrei.