From: stp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:stp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Daniel Berg
Sent: 12 May 2006 03:25
To: STP Dev list
Cc: STP Dev list; stp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [stp-dev] merging SC and SAF

Here is my two cents on the topic.

I agree that the tooling from both should be merged into a single subproject.  Is there a strong reason to split the core subproject like this?  I view the SAF framework an extension to the models which would argue that it belongs in the same subproject.  A subproject is typically more coarse grain and is not typically just a single feature or just a small set of plugins.  The subproject has a cohesive set of code that works together to achieve a goal.  In this case they serve as the core platform for which the STP project is built.

Regards,
Dan

"Beaurpere, David" <David.Beaurpere@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: stp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/11/2006 05:45 AM

Please respond to
STP Dev list <stp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"STP Dev list" <stp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[stp-dev] merging SC and SAF

I would like to suggest to merge the SC and SAF subprojects together in a new project aimed at a dev tooling platform.

The rational behind is basically that:
  • The Service Creation project is poorly named anyway (the name is inherited from the very early days of the STP setup) and, regardless of it merging with SAF, it will have to renamed.
  • SAF doesn't really belong in the core framework project.
  • both projects are effectively complementary and are focusing on closely related areas.
I do not have a name or particular setup to suggest and I guess that the idea would have to be approved by the PMC before anything happens but I just wanted to put the idea out there to see what people think of it.

rgds,
d.