[stp-dev] (no subject)

Hi Everyone,

I have been watching the STP discussions and pmc call notes for the last couple of months, and some with concern.  It is expected that each project has some startup pains, but articles like the following is definite signal that some wrong messages are going out to the world (http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2006/03/16/eclispe_soa_ibm_oracle).  I am certain that this is not what is happening.

STP by its nature has relations to other eclipse projects like BPEL, and WTP (service creation/wsdl and xml tools), and has its own unique scope with JBI support, ESB runtimes etc.   Inter project relations have been discussed with emails and pmc. One thing is certain: STP, BPEL and WTP projects must understand and consolidate their requirements.  Duplicating work is not very useful, and feeds speculation, rather than encouraging collaboration.  STP will be a much stronger and widely accepted platform project when it builds on other eclipse projects. When projects collaborate, often some code migrates from one project to the other and finds a more natural place, that is the beauty of eclipse.

I would really encourage cross project face to face meetings to take place  during eclipsecon.  I will be there, so would the rest of WTP PMC and a large portion of our committers.  I will be happy to take the initiative to facilitate it.  Even if you are not attending, maybe you can find some proxies to convey your thoughts.

Back to the top