Re: [stp-dev] Re: [Open letter to STP regarding BPEL and other verticals, from the Eclipse BPEL Designer team

Kevin,

Looks like we might be straight on the B2J subproject - correct ?

The BPMN guys have been quite (not one mail on this thread), and we can't comment on there behalf. Let me reach out to them directly as having a common model for both BPEL and BPMN editors would be great and is separate from the language binding discussion - this
a conversation well worth having.

Do you forsee STP growing subprojects for other component types?

YES, any subproject that focusing on (integration of XYZ or building XYZ) _and_ (is integrated with the STP/SCA assembly model) could be accepted as a STP subproject per charter. So stuff like web services will be integrated and they are built in WTP, make sense...

hope that helps
Carl.

Kevin McGuire wrote:

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your reply. First off, I intended my previous email to be direct but not inflammatory, so my poor wording. Clearly this is becoming a stressful issue for all.

You bring up several points.

1) You are correct that the BPEL Designer project is strictly focused around UI. Specifically: editor, model, validation, deployment hooks. No runtime. So I agree that there is no functional overlap with the BPEL Designer work. Actually, we're keen for good runtimes for BPEL.

2) It seems there is more to B2J than I am "getting".  You said,
>>B2J will - among other things - align with and provide reference
>>implementations for key models in the STP project

What are these "key models"? My assumption was that the "B" in B2J is for BPEL, and when I hear someone is writing a "B2J" converter, I interpret that as, "they are writing a BPEL runtime". But your wording indicates something larger, or different. Supporting a wide set of models and languages is obviously a good goal. I am trying to understand whether you view that all your "key models" will be BPEL based, or if you are creating a framework for *2J deployment, where * is any language? Will the B2J output be a supported reference BPEL runtime?

3) >>I will leave it to the appropriate parties to comment on BPMN.
This is actually the one that has me the most concerned wrt. overlap and direction.

4) I understand your point about creation review. Perhaps a source of confusion is that both projects started at about the same time. I don't remember the BPMN subproject (nor B2J for that matter) discussion in the material I saw around the time of your creation review, so either I just missed that, or it grew after. If I understand right the BPEL work came via TPTP and was after, no? I'm not trying to turn back the clock. Clearly there is no sense though both of us developing BPEL models and UIs. Our decision to create the BPEL Designer project would've been affected by an understanding that there was a competing BPEL effort in Eclipse. We were aware of the BPEL work in TPTP but understood that to be focused on a particular purpose, rather than a general choreography component.

5) There has been some expression of interest in joining forces on BPEL. That's excellent. However, STP is looking to BPMN and we are not. I would like to understand better whether BPMN is a specific requirement for how the processes should be expressed, or if it was picked simply because its a standard (and as good a starting point as any)? As in my previous note, the choice of BPMN has caused me some confusion over the goal of STP because its aimed at business users and modelling, which seems to me beyond the mission of creation of a SOA platform.

6) Do you forsee STP growing subprojects for other component types? I would like to understand how subprojects for component types fits in with the STP charter (perhaps I just missed something in it) since the charter in my read was around platform creation, not additionally the creation of components which consume that platform.

Cheers,
Kevin McGuire

*Stefan Daume <Stefan.Daume@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>*
Sent by: stp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/15/2006 04:50 AM
Please respond to
STP Dev list

	STP Dev list <stp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Kevin McGuire/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA, Greg Adams/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA, mike.norman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ward Cunningham <ward.cunningham@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Mike.Milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx, michal.chmielewski@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Re: [stp-dev] Re: [Open letter to STP regarding BPEL and other verticals, from the Eclipse BPEL Designer team

Hi all.

First of all let me state that no-one questions the effort, commitment
or competence of individual committers in any project whatever its
nature or state.

Furthermore, let me add a few points about B2J to this rather surprising
discussion. I will leave it to the appropriate parties to comment on BPMN.

On the technical side:

- the BPEL Designer project presents itself as a UI project; that's what
B2J is definitely not; B2J will not deliver a BPEL editor (as stated
multiple times now); B2J would be completely misplaced in the BPEL
Designer project because it intends to deliver something that is
broader; we invite people from other projects to hook into the
integration framework that STP B2J already provides and will extend; as
an aside let me say that I always felt that indeed the BPEL designer
project should be a subproject of WTP
- I do not think that "dinky examples" do provide a great value; every
project must or should provide valuable reference implementations to
serve the most important objective: broad adoption; that is a goal that
we all share; references to other projects were made that underline this
point
- STP B2J will - among other things - align with and provide reference
implementations for key models in the STP project; more importantly
however it will contribute to establish a deployment integration
framework specification which is envisaged to have a broader impact,
namely - as Carl pointed out earlier - to ensure we have the frameworks
in place to have STP extensible enough to support other languages (C++,
COBOL, BPEL, PHP, etc); with regard to that notion of extensibility B2J
will contribute an important piece to STP; again there is a huge impact
on adoption here

On procedure:

The timing and nature of this discussion concerns me. Labelling any
contribution in this exchange as silly or spurious does not help. In any
case all of these exchanges should be public on STP-DEV and not just be
addressed to a few individuals.

Trustworthiness of open source artifacts and processes is a key theme in
the industry these days and should not be taken for granted. Eclipse
established a well-defined process for projects and contributions to
establish trust in the Eclipse open source processes and artifacts. This
applies both to the exploiters of Eclipse as well as people wishing to
contribute.

The creation review period is an open process. All information is
available. STP went through this process. The community through the
board approved STP as a top-level project with its current structure,
intent and scope. The available information was plentiful especially
with regard to B2J as the basic contribution already existed publicly.

Obviously, in future there will always be issues and concerns that are
raised and discussed and in a few cases could even result in structural
changes or the creation of new projects. In fact, that is what happened
with the previous incarnation of B2J.
However, with regard to the STP creation review, the Eclipse ecosystem,
the process or the technical arguments nothing has changed at this point
that would suggest to question the current structure of STP. Finally, I
would like to point out that we were aware of the BPEL designer project.
B2J was deliberately taken to the STP project and not the BPEL designer
project because we were and still are convinced that it belongs in STP.
And indeed so was the STP community that conceived this project when
they invited B2J as a subproject.

I am happy to have a chat about this at EclipseCon. In the meantime I
refer you to the available information.

Regards,

   Stefan

Stefan Daume