Re: [stp-dev] Commit: build/ - Code commit guidelines

My main point is around the base projects.  For WTP you used jst and wst which are the subproject acronyms.  It seems that we don't have subproject names which are good enough to uniquely identify our plugins (e.g., "core").  Thus my question around the naming conventions.

Regards,
Dan

Naci Dai <naci.dai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: stp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/15/2006 09:04 AM

Please respond to
STP Dev list

STP Dev list <stp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [stp-dev] Commit: build/ - Code commit guidelines

Here is what we use for our conventions

Base projects

org.eclipse.jst.*
org.eclipse.wst.*

Then we differentiate between API and NON-API  (this is quite important to use and also followed by the platform)
any package name with the word *.internal.* contains NON-API code.  This allows our API check/test coverage tools to differentaite between API and non API.  We have very quickly realized that test coverage stats are meaningless unless we know we are testing at least every API.

After that we follow the two basic extensions to differentiate between UI and CORE

org.eclipse.wst.common.server.core
org.eclipse.wst.common.server.ui

these can appear in the name so we do not force them as suffixes.

org.eclipse.wst.common.server.ui.wizards

an internal one maybe

org.eclipse.wst.common.server.ui.internal.wizards

etc.

Have we talked about naming conventions that the STP will use?

The eclipse naming conventions has the major prefix set to org.eclipse.  Typically the subproject name is used next in the qualified name.  This doesn't seem to work for us since the subproject names are typically not unique enough.  For example the Core subproject is too general to be used (org.eclipse.core or org.eclipse.cf).  So we either change our subproject names to be more unique or we break away from the typical naming conventions.  We could use org.eclipse.stp.* as the prefix.  Then the Core subproject could be org.eclipse.stp.core or org.eclipse.stp.cf.

Thought?

Regards,
Dan