Re: [soc-dev] [GSoC2014] : Eclipse Ideas

Hi Nishant,

as I volunteer as mentor on this, you have several options to discuss. In first place you might want to discuss with me directly. If a concrete solution comes into play, you might want to start the discussion on the ticket itself, because there also other Eclipse developers, contributors and most important, the committers are getting involved.

As a starting point, here my first thoughts:
1. The translation registry should react on Locale changes automatically. Just like the application model will do with Luna. Therefore the first thoughts are to create a OSGi declarative service.
2. The definition should be independent from any UI toolkit. So no dependency to SWT for example.
3. The renderes might be a good location for the implementation. There the UI toolkit dependent stuff could be done. For example, in SWT the checks for disposal. Not sure what it would look like with JavaFX.
4. I thought of some kind of registry where you are registering the Control/Widget, the property that should be localized and the key that should be used for localization.

For example:
Label myLabel = new Label(parent, SWT.NONE);
translationRegistry.register(myLabel, "text", "my.label.text");

Which means, register the property "text" of the Control "myLabel" for the translation to be retrieved via "my.label.text" key.

There might be parallels to JFace Databinding.

Greez,
Dirk