Re: [soa-pmc] Renaming SOA Top Level Project

Thanks for the feedback Ian/Mike.

(Was great meeting you at EclipseCon – thanks for organizing)

I understand your concern regarding terminology overlap overlap and the argument that other projects are also supporting enterprise technologies, but that is a trivial statement: Even a code editor or OSGI as a technology may support an enterprise application at the end, but the focus of those projects is to deliver the respective technologies – which may very well be used for other domains (e.g. embedded solutions).

The (current) SOA project however has its core focus on Enterprise software/architecture problems and we thought it would be appropriate to express that.

We were also tempted to simply rename it to “BPM project”, but thought that this would neither cover what Winery does nor would it cover some other more Enterprise Architecture-related contributions in the future (e.g. services registries, IdP functionality, enterprise portal technologies etc.). I still think it would be desirable to have a top level project for these things and label it that way.

In any event:

Now that you have expressed your dislike or at least concerns regarding our proposal and it also has become clear that it will not be a discretionary decision by the SOA project leads:

What are you suggesting as an alternative? Because one thing is clear: All current project leads would like to get rid of the SOA label.

Many thanks,

Marc