[smila-dev] [Fwd: Re: Sun Public License]

SPL is ok
--- Begin Message ---
Hi Ivan,

Any third party library proposed for use with Eclipse has to be reviewed by
the IP team before it can be included in a project.  The process by which
you do that is described on page 2 in this link:

http://www.eclipse.org/legal/EclipseLegalProcessPoster.pdf

It looks like a lot of information (and it is! :-)), but after you do it
once or twice it's fairly straightforward.

At a high level, the two main areas we investigate on every Contribution
Questionnaire are (a) license compatibility and (b) code provenance.

(a)  License compatibility:  If the Sun Public License*
[http://www.opensource.org/licenses/sunpublic.php] is the only one present
in the submission, then our preliminary review suggests that the license is
compatible.  Please note that we would have to submit this license to the
board for approval, but we feel the likelihood of approval is high.

(b)  Code provenance:  Essentially, we look for evidence that the third
party project is taking steps to ensure that individuals and companies who
contribute code to their project are the original creators or otherwise have
the right to contribute it, and that they have agreed to release the code as
open source under that project's license.

Having said all that, the only way to know whether the third party library
you would like to use will ultimately be approved for use within Eclipse is
to submit a Contribution Questionnaire for it :-).   The sooner the better!

I hope this helps Ivan.

Cheers,

Barb Cochrane
Eclipse Foundation, Inc.
Phone 613.224.9461 ext 232 (GMT -5)
Fax 613.224.5172
Email barb.cochrane@xxxxxxxxxxx
www.eclipse.org

*PS - It's worth pointing out that while the Sun Public License looks to be
compatible, we have definitively determined that the Sun Community Source
License [http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/scsl_5.0-license.txt] is NOT
compatible.  I just wanted to make that distinction because it's subtle, but
important.