[sirius-dev] Status update for Sirius 1.0.0M7

Hi all,

The next milestone, Sirius 1.0.0M7, will be released on 2014-05-09. Note that this date is for the whole Luna M7 release. Platform is released one week earlier, and Sirius having an offset of +3 must be released and contributed to the aggregation by May 7 (earlier is better). We want to keep the last week before the release for stabilization only, so this gives us this calendar: * April 28: feature freeze, last date to merge impacting changes on master for M7, start of stabilization period.
* May 7: Sirius 1.0.0M7 released and contributed to Luna M7.
* May 9: Luna M7 released.

The following items are already completed for M7:
* #430527: We fixed all packaging issues identified by the automated reports which were launched on M6. In particular our update-sites now include pack200 versions of our JARs. * #428322, #431634: The dynamic tabbar work, which was disabled by mistake in M6, will finally be visible in M7. This allowed us to find (and fix) a memory leak in the platform, which will also by released in M7. * #427803: The metamodel and associated code for the diagram dialect has now been completely moved out of the core of Sirius itself. * #430263: Starting with M7, Sirius will no longer automatically start and load itself as soon as Eclipse is launched, but instead will be loaded only when it starts to be used. This will improve the startup time of the Eclipse Modeling Package (among others).

These are in progress, and should normally be finished before the freeze:
* #431132, #431133, #430536: Various improvements in the way we manage the target platforms used to build Sirius. They should enable a better control on what we depend on and better/earlier visibility on potential integration issues. * #429682: We had to change some of our APIs (with no loss of functionality) to avoid exposing Guava-specific types. See the bugzilla (and the related #428976) for the technical details, but the end result is better compatibility with the other components of the release train (and ecosystem at large). * #427247: Cleanup of our metamodels by removing very old and unsupported parts. While each of these are technically API changes, they should have very little impact on most users. If you rely heavily on the Sirius meta-models in your code, please see the details in the bugzilla about the actual changes, and the release notes which explain how to adapt your code when relevant. Note that this is actually a rather large task, only parts of which will be done in M7. * #431359: For historical reasons, the definition of the Sirius session resources (the aird files) was done in the diagram-specific plug-ins. This can cause issues when only the core of Sirius but not the diagram-specific parts are installed. This issue is about moving this definition back into the core. The related #427017 tries to remove a costly GMF-specific adapter on aird resources.

These are either not started yet or not in an advanced state but are important bugfixes or improvements that we'll do our best to include before M7: * #432986: This is a loss of functionality as a side-effect of moving the diagram dialect out of the core. We understand what happened and how to fix it, but have not started working it yet. * #432021: Sirius installs some of its (layout) providers too broadly, which causes issues when using other GMF-based tools (e.g. Papyrus) if Sirius is installed.
* #430495, #432931: better support for XText-based models.
* #430579: better defaults in Tree dialect to avoid performance issues.
* #430724: use a more efficient session SavingPolicy by default.
* #432133: possible incompatibility with XSD-based Ecore metamodels.
* #430529, #427278, #427275, #427273: various tasks, mostly very small, to improve the Sirius branding, in our features and on the website.

Best regards,
Pierre-Charles David (Sirius co-lead)

Back to the top