Re: [servlet-dev] Removing restrictions on direct commits

On 04/11/2021 21:53, Stuart Douglas wrote:

On Fri, 5 Nov 2021 at 07:48, Mark Thomas <markt@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:markt@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    As a first step, I have opened an issue to make the project leads
    admins
    - as we should according to the Eclipse Handbook. With admin karma, we
    should then be able to make changes to the review requirements.

    Mark

If you are an admin you can always merge even without review. The button is red and it gives you an 'are you sure' popup, but you don't need to wait for review.

I've just discovered that the project handbook and reality are not exactly aligned. Admin karma is granted on request for 24/48 hours. I have requested it so I can make the changes we have been discussing.

Mark

Stuart

    <gregw@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:gregw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
    <mailto:gregw@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:gregw@xxxxxxxxxxx>>>> wrote:
     >      >
     >      >
     >      >     I kind of like having it, as we should very rarely be in a
     >     situation
     >      >     where a PR must be committed ASAP.
     >      >     If a PR really needs to be committed ASAP, then I
    think project
     >      >     admins have the power to override on a case by case
    basis anyway.
     >      >
     >      >
     >      > None of us are admins though AFAIK.
     >
     >     Correct.
     >
     >      > Personally I would prefer that Mark
     >      > be made an admin and the 'Include Administrators' box be
     >     unticked. It
     >      > would mean that Mark could merge if he really needs
    something for
     >     the
     >      > release, but it is a big red button with a warning.
     >
     >     That would address my immediate concern regarding being able
    to address
     >     release issues in a timely manner. The main thing I don't
    like about
     >     this is that it gives me karma other committers don't have.
     >
     >      >     As a committer to many projects, I have often self
    determined
     >     that
     >      >     my changes were ready to be committed... only to be
    surprised by
     >      >     some silly omission, accidental inclusion or plain stupid
     >     mistake.
     >      >          We are all fallible and even if not, then does
    the extra few
     >      >     hours required to wait for a review really hurt?
     >      >
     >      >     cheers
     >      >
     >      >     P.S. If you do turn it off, I'm still going to pester
    others for
     >      >     review of any of my PRs, as I for one have broken too many
     >     builds to
     >      >     have any delusions of infallibility.
     >
     >     Oh indeed. I am by no means infallible either. However, my
     >     experience of
     >     the last few years where EL does not have this restriction is
    that
     >     always requiring it adds unnecessary friction to the project.
    I am
     >     confident that all the committers can make good decisions on
    when to
     >     just commit something and when a PR + discussion is required.
    Even if
> [...]
     >     pushes.
     >
     >     I'm not convinced (working on multiple projects where PRs are not
     >     required) that accidental pushes are that much of a problem
    but I could
     >     live with that.
     >

     >     I looks like my initial proposal goes further than the
    community is
     >     comfortable with but that the community would accept some
    degree of
     >     relaxation. With that in mind I'm amending my proposal to the
    following.

     >     Remove the GitHub enforced requirement that all PRs must be
    reviewed.
     >     All changes will still be via PR. Committers will be expected
    to use
     >     their judgement as to how long to allow for feedback before
    merging
     >     a PR.
     >

     > I am ok with this, I trust other committers' judgement here, and
    a PR
     > also means an email notification so everyone will be aware of it.
     >
     > If there are questions after the fact the PR also provides a
    place for
     > this discussion to happen.
     >
     > I agree that accidental pushes are not really a problem in practice,
     > however it's also that the PR provides a place where additional
    metadata
     > about the change can live.
     >
     > Stuart
     >
     >     Mark
     >

     >      >
     >      > Stuart
     >      >
     >      >
     >      >
     >      >
     >      >
     >      >     On Wed, 3 Nov 2021 at 03:30, Mark Thomas
    <markt@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:markt@xxxxxxxxxx>
     >     <mailto:markt@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:markt@xxxxxxxxxx>>
     >      >     <mailto:markt@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:markt@xxxxxxxxxx>
    <mailto:markt@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:markt@xxxxxxxxxx>>>> wrote:
     >      >
     >      >         All,
     >      >
     >      >         In approx 24 hours time I intend to request that
    the branch
     >      >         restrictions
     >      >         that prevent committers committing directly to the
    master
     >     branch
     >      >         and
     >      >         those that require every PR to be reviewed before
    merge
     >     are removed.
     >      >
     >      >         My reasoning is as follows:
     >      >         - I have seen the benefits of these restrictions
    not being
     >      >         present in EL
     >      >         - I'm expecting a number of non-substantive
    changes will be
     >      >         required to
     >      >             successfully complete the release process and
    PR + review
     >      >         for all of
     >      >             them will significantly slow us down
     >      >         - Committers are perfectly capable of determining
    which
     >     changes
     >      >         need a
     >      >             PR and review and which can be made directly -
    and if
     >     they
     >      >         get it
     >      >             wrong changes can easily be reverted
     >      >
     >      >         I was intending to propose this change after the
    Jakarta 10
    <mailto:servlet-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:servlet-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
    <mailto:gregw@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:gregw@xxxxxxxxxxx>>>> CTO
    <http://webtide.com <http://webtide.com>> <http://webtide.com