Re: [servlet-dev] @Priority for ServletContainerInitializer

Stuart et al,

On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 at 03:18, Stuart Douglas <sdouglas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Something to be careful here is that I think we need to define 'associated with' as the jar the contains the META-INF/services file, which
can in theory be different to the jar that actually contains the class file.

Very good point.  So to be precise, perhaps our language should be that we order SCI's by the order within the META-INF/services/jakarta.servlet.ServletContainerInitializer files, which themselves are ordered by the fragment order of any fragment descriptor in the same jar/module as the services file.  Any services file in a jar without fragment is ordered with the "Others" fragment and within the "Others", they are ordered alphabetically by the base fragment/module/jar name (ie if the jar/module has a fragment name, then use that, else use the module name, else use the basename of the jar file).     Is that a total ordering of the application SCIs?

I think we all agree that container provided SCIs are ordered before any of these, but do we now need to define an ordering among multiple container provided SCIs, or is that a container specific mechanism?  I tend to the later, because we don't have anything like the fragment mechanism to lean on.

regards