Re: [servlet-dev] Managing the EE4J_8 Branch

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 at 14:15, Stuart Douglas <sdouglas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So what is the point of the 4.0.2 branch? Is this so that if we decide not to release a staged 4.0.2 artefact we can do some additional commits on this branch to fix whatever the issue is? If this is the case what do we do about the existing tag, do we just delete it and tag again? Certainly once the maven artefact is published there is no going back and any changes need a new release.

Indeed I don't understand the purpose of the 4.0.2 branch left with a 4.0.3-SNAPSHOT version?    I'm wondering if we shouldn't just delete it after the release has been done until it is left in a decent state?

Still, no reason to not keep master up to date.  So we should at the very least merge 4.0.2 to master so it has all changes and is setup for 4.0.3-SNAPSHOT.  I'd still prefer it to be called 4.0.x so that any more significant work can be done in branches called 4.1.x or 5.0.x

Isn't EE4J_8 essentially 4.0.x,

Kind of... except the next dev release commit is going to 4.0.2 rather than back to EE4J_8 branch.

and master is 4.1 or 5?

Yes that's kind of works.   However, my suggestion is that because we might want to work towards a 4.1 and a 5.0 at the same time, it would be good to not have master and just have explicitly named 4.0.x, 4.1.x and 5.0.x branches - effectively have the ability to have multiple "masters" if we end up working in parallel.   I think there is interest in a 4.0.3 at least which will include more cleanups that are not semantic but are not allowed in 4.0.2 for whatever reason.

My interpretation was that EE4J_8 is basically just a branch to do our initial release from, and that all active development work should be done in master.

Except we have #204 which is now only in EE4J_8 and not in master, so we really need to merge that into master.

So how about we have:
  • EE4J_8 branch essentially as is to be used for the initial release. Once done, it can be locked.
  • 4.0.2 branch which we will essentially ignore and hopefully ultimately delete, or at least locked.
  • 4.0.x (renamed from master), which will be 4.0.3-SNAPSHOT and where we can work on not semantic cleanups (better documentation, java11 support etc.)
  • Eventually 4.1.x and/or 5.0.x branches where we can work on any new features.
We should be able to merge forward EE4J_8 to 4.0.x to 4.1.x to 5.0.x.  Changes going the other direction will need to be cherry picked.

cheers

Stuart

regards