Re: [servlet-dev] Managing the EE4J_8 Branch

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 11:04 AM Greg Wilkins <gregw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 at 09:49, arjan tijms <arjan.tijms@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  A branch called 4.0.2 should not contain 4.0.3-SNAPSHOT, regardless of how it was created.
I also don't think that EE4J_8 should have a SNAPSHOT version in it.  It is 4.0.2, so it should be at 4.0.2 - no SNAPSHOT.

This is what almost all if not all jobs are using. They take the SNAPSHOT version from the EE4J_8 branch. Both for spec and impl projects:

Well other projects doing it still does not make it desirable.

So essentially that says the EE4J_8 branch is a development branch of which multiple releases will be pulled.... except the incremented development version is ending up back in the the release branch and not back in EE4J_8 branch?   It just does not make sense however you cut it.   Oh well, I guess we are at the whim of other EE4J_8 projects and it is best to go with the other projects.  Hopefully they will eventually see sense.

I wonder if there was a discussion about this somewhere, or is this just a case of somebody setting up CI to work a specific way and everyone just running with it?

So what is the point of the 4.0.2 branch? Is this so that if we decide not to release a staged 4.0.2 artefact we can do some additional commits on this branch to fix whatever the issue is? If this is the case what do we do about the existing tag, do we just delete it and tag again? Certainly once the maven artefact is published there is no going back and any changes need a new release.

Still, no reason to not keep master up to date.  So we should at the very least merge 4.0.2 to master so it has all changes and is setup for 4.0.3-SNAPSHOT.  I'd still prefer it to be called 4.0.x so that any more significant work can be done in branches called 4.1.x or 5.0.x

Isn't EE4J_8 essentially 4.0.x, and master is 4.1 or 5? My interpretation was that EE4J_8 is basically just a branch to do our initial release from, and that all active development work should be done in master.

Stuart

regards