[rest-dev] Jakarta Rest Workshop
  • From: Kenneth Fogel <kfogel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 16:08:54 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-CA, en-US
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=dawsoncollege.qc.ca; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=dawsoncollege.qc.ca; dkim=pass header.d=dawsoncollege.qc.ca; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=WR4qpv7/+lL+kZy75zuM8UFwookrfOuA6HQev+ZY+JM=; b=XmUdAGf04Gy/8fXM3g7fNkvSFRf/r88XWnn8G2DI+BIi9VmQ/n+JY99Hh+BGRsz5xr8QUN8n8NgPXUJt0g3Evfg8ipDCVoDST0ocwavva7l1qlcvXX3OeToVtqAHKyPL5596gpgDqvGl/PkCA3GItWiKCyh0epWGCXTZQ4VvbaTKa6loeP/HPTuy9qb1EgPxe2VekAYJ7Tt7UVAzMm9p37kXN7haHeo5LmbJ+pCHbZTVTPzuuTRlS3RlSACXe4S+XnkRtUNOUC7krgZvKzFDt4KyXcOaI3UqBeGYP3LyQzTUpNtYtOS6iaXPkDzhhbT1ldweqbveQnc+RX/7s2IyrA==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=niTe0z4YZOp0qR23Xk/FKW9YO69AMwm7OgEozhJG+pNHs+sQ057QY8tGwgEgD/FT07RCkmPguUpjHVWCOZv5pKFkCX89OakakU2YBQBX4c85vljE3dZ0phE+U8NCdbFHXBpS80+4iVfw0Ccu6GsgyUzfN0UeH8Gq8UgSWZHW7elJt43q+gtRHcae1Ao6Wk3wNDxLwiG9XMcihKDpuV9COxr0AfBt8odT2OUCPUXLwsJOkwNKRp47SiAhadlei3FJnJR+o0XnOkd1oUHT2a6uYbCRjse5beGpZICfFODNQJZPXVfAMQ6OICe+Dpi8b0+i7ekq5e2jdO398MbPvUzzGw==

Hi everyone,

My name is Ken Fogel and I have likely met some of you at JavaOne/CodeOne. I am writing to this list as I have been asked to prepare a workshop based on the Jakarta 10 REST and JSON-B frameworks/libraries. I am a retired Computer Science instructor at Dawson College in Montreal, a Java Champion and member of the executive committee of the JCP. Like all retired academics, or at least some of us, I have written a book on Java that just came out and my next project is the workshop.

I taught a course on Web Services as recently as 2015 but at that time I used JEE 7. Almost half the course was focused on XML, XLST, SOAP, etc.. Obviously, XML is off the table and will be replaced by JSON. I also used Docker so that my students could create multiple servers on a single machine, as security at Concordia restricted inter machine communication. For your amusement here are course topics from 2015.:

Topic     Topic/Content

1             Overview of JEE 7 Web Services

2             XML Basics

3             DTD and Schema

4             Extensible Stylesheet Language Transformations

5             The Java APIs for XML Processing

•             SAX 2 - Simple API for XML

•             DOM 2 - Document Object Model

•             StAX – Streaming API for XML

6             JAX -WS

•             SOAP

•             WSDL

7             JAX-RS

•             JSON

I see the workshop outline as:

Overview of Jakarta 10 Web Services

Implementing Jakarta RESTful Web Services

               Server Based

               SE Based

JSON Binding

This is a simplified list. My intention is to develop a series of exercises interspaced with brief technical presentations. For some if not all exercises I plan to provide a maven based initial project framework. These workshops will be packaged for use by presenters other than myself for JUGs, conferences, and classroom sessions. There will be a one-hour and a three-hour version.

Here is where I can use your help. The audience for this workshop is someone who wishes to upgrade their REST skills to Jakarta 10. Back in the JEE 7 days I relied on the IDE’s ability to generate supporting classes. Having played with SeBootstrap I am excited to see that what was once necessary to generate in the IDE is no longer necessary. My question is “What do you think should be in this workshop?”.