There's no rush yet, but I'll create a label for it and start adding some issues that I think might be appropriate. Can I ask you both to pitch in as you can as well? In particular, I'd like to make sure that the tickets we put in there are well described and scoped so that it's clear what the expectations are. Let's make sure that the issue descriptions are edited to be as clear as possible (probably a good idea anyway, regardless of hacktoberfest).

Cheers,

Jeen

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020, at 19:04, Bart Hanssens (BOSA) wrote:

+1 😊

From: rdf4j-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx <rdf4j-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of HÃ¥vard Ottestad
Sent: vrijdag 21 augustus 2020 9:21
To: rdf4j developer discussions <rdf4j-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [rdf4j-dev] Hacktoberfest

Hi Jeen,

I like this idea :)

HÃ¥vard

On 21 Aug 2020, at 03:30, Jeen Broekstra <jeen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've been thinking about putting in some effort to get RDF4J involved in this year's Hacktoberfest (https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/). Hacktoberfest is a yearly event where people are encouraged to seek out and contribute to open source projects - by doing pull requests on open source github repos. If you do enough pull requests, you can win a t-shirt :)

Minimal prep work would involve:

1. mark issue tickets that might be good for relatively new contributors with a "hacktoberfest" label (along with a "good first issue" or "help wanted" that we already use);

2. making sure those tickets are well described and scoped so it's clear for new contributors what the expectations are.

The reason for doing this is not just to get some one-time fixes from "fly-by" contributors, but hopefully also to encourage some people to stick around and do more.

Thoughts?

Jeen