Re: [rdf4j-dev] patch vs. minor releases and our git branching workflow

On Sun, Jun 21, 2020 at 5:35 PM Håvard Ottestad <hmottestad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think we should keep the setup we have. Master and develop are automatically kept in sync, and we have a script for doing a patch release that also keeps everything in sync.

I notice in particular for the ShaclSail that development is so fast now that it would be very hard to cherry-pick one commit without causing conflicts.

I also like the clear cut between patch vs minor release. We can decide when merging if it should go to one or the other. Changing the target is usually without a hassle as most people who choose the wrong target will choose master, so it’s enough to change the target in GitHub.

Fair enough. I would personally prefer a less script-dependent setup but what we've got works, so there is a strong "don't fix what isn't broken" argument.

As for master vs trunk/main I don’t have a preference. Typing trunk or main instead of master will probably quickly become second nature.

Good to know. I am not going to do this immediately, but probably after the 3.3 release.

At the same time I think we should ask our users to donate to the cause. I would prefer something like UNCF.org - United Negro College Fund.

I'm not in favor of that to be honest. Not because I don't think it's a good cause, but us as a project endorsing specific charities feels "off charter", and definitely a big step further than just making sure we run our own project with diversity and inclusion in mind. And also: why endorse charity A and not charity B? A more general statement of support, perhaps as a small blog entry on the website, would be more appropriate I think.

Cheers,

Jeen

Back to the top