[rdf4j-dev] Java > 8

Hi,

I was wondering if maybe it was time to leave behind java 8 in our next 3.0 release? By “leave behind” I mean, make default development on java 11, the latest LTS version.

The reason I bring it up is because maven will currently only build java on version 8. When I use java 9 I get the following error:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal com.github.siom79.japicmp:japicmp-maven-plugin:0.11.0:cmp (default) on project rdf4j-sail-api: Execution default of goal com.github.siom79.japicmp:japicmp-maven-plugin:0.11.0:cmp failed: A required class was missing while executing com.github.siom79.japicmp:japicmp-maven-plugin:0.11.0:cmp: javax/xml/bind/JAXBException

I believe the reason I’m seeing this error is mainly because we (developers) are probably all using java 8 and jenkins is also using java 8. So no one is really bothered by old plugins without java > 8 supports.

Wrt. jenkins, what are the chances that eclipse supports java 11?

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Håvard

Back to the top