[rdf4j-dev] reorg/cleanup of testsuite and compliance tests

Hi all,

as part of GH-1230, I've made a start at reorganizing and cleaning up our test rig a little bit. In particular, I've identified compliance tests that really should be in a different module, cleaned up a few test suites that had too much implementation-specific stuff in (and really should be unit tests instead), etc.

There's more to do I think, but it's a start. I'd like to get to a situation where the test suites and the compliance modules are strictly for testing things like spec compliance, (either W3C or our own protocol specs), and every other kind of functional testing is done through unit testing. The separation between test suite and compliance should be such that testsuites are strictly on the level of our public APIs, and can equally be reused by third-party implementations of those APIs.

I'd also like to get to a point where the Jenkins build does not necessarily run full compliance tests on every single pull request, but can stick to unit testing only (this would of course require that we get better unit test coverage than we have now).

Please have a look at the PRs I've set up for this. Also: be aware that after this is merged you may need to clean up your IDE workspace and re-import, because some maven modules have been moved about.

Jeen

PS to be clear: when I talk about unit tests, I mean a test that lives in src/test/java of the same module as the code being tested, and that executes very fast. So tests that spin up an embedded server to run requests against are (obviously) not unit tests, but compliance/integration tests.

Back to the top