Re: [platform-vision] Compensator - The-Back-to-the-Roots-IDE

Hi,

I think maintained is not totally accurate - there's still ongoing
investment but certainly there have been resource cuts and there are not
that many people assigned to it as there have been 2 years ago.

8u40 will bring big and important features like accessibility support,
dialogs (unbelievable but true :-) closing the last big gaps to other UI
technologies.

On the dropping of ARM - I think Oracle (once more) completely missed
the ball to providing a sensible response (in time) - and the first one
that came on the raspberry list was also of no real help if you ask me.

A slightly better response is the one that was given by the OpenJFX
project lead at
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.openjdk.openjfx.devel/8791
which as I read it means that JavaFX is the way forward on desktop.

Anyways many of the conceptual topics I've outlined are not influenced
whether you use JavaFX / SWT / Qt / ... .

The only thing you can not trade is that the UI technology has to
provide a way to make an UI look slick and comparable with what you can
get with HTML5 and I can not see SWT going in that direction.

I already played some time ago with using HTML5 as the rendering
technology and you might know about Duke-Script / html4j but there are
too many problems as of today.

So my only choices to get the UI in a shape are Qt and JavaFX but for Qt
I'd first have to invest into a binding (yes I know there is QtJambi but
it's a dead too and IMHO is the wrong approach on doing a Java/C++
binding) so I went with JavaFX it's just pragmatism [*] - if I'd see the
slightes chance to get the same effects with another UI technology in
the same time so that it look as slick as sublime I'm in!

Tom

[*] Yes I confess like JavaFX ;-)