Re: [platform-vision] Minutes from September 17, 2014

Hey Tyler,

more thoughts:

> Another few points:
> 1) There are likely going to be three types of microservices, if you will.  Those that deal with provisioning (users, workspaces, resources, accounts, permissions).   Those that deal with workflows (projects, services, sequences, builders, unit testers, runners, packagers).  Those that deal with language services (JDT-style capabilities).  It's easy to think about JDT as a service potentially being a nice way to grow in the market, but these types of core microservices may or may not be accessible outside of an authentication context, for a variety of security reasons.  So, any discussion about a future of microservices probably has to discuss standardization of provisioning & workflow services, too.  This is a bit of a gray area, as again, this wanders a bit into the vendor side of the world. But I again submit that Eclipse as a governing body is one that is expected to release usable, hardened offerings, so we have to account for some of this in the thinking.

I think a cloud-based tooling needs some kind of authentication anyway, but I hope that this authentication “feature” is something orthogonal to all the micro services that we are talking about and doesn’t need to be deeply baked into every individual service.

> 2) The thread below discussed JDT services.  Che has wrappers around JDT and extended it in its own way, so there is a necessary rationalization that must occur. Codenvy has investments going in ant, maven, gradle.  We'd like to get out of having to rationalize JDT and our microservice approach over the long haul.  Language services should ideally be built once and reusable by Che & Flux at the same time.

Yes, micro services should be re-usable in Che, Flux, Digigible, whatever cloud-based dev tooling that people will build on top of the Eclipse CD projects.

Cheers,
-Martin