Re: [platform-ui-dev] Macro recording capabilities

In between TextEditors and StyledText, there's the ITextViewer which seems a better choice for what you're trying to implement.
Also, before implementing this, I'm unsure of the user story of doing key macro recording only in a text editor or field and not on the whole application. Bug 8519 is about mcros for the whole IDE, including keyboard shortcuts and so on. Can you please elaborate some actual user stories highlighting how this is valuable with current IDE for instance?

​Well, ITextViewer being only an interface can't really have such an implementation... and AbstractTextEditor is the first abstraction actually implementing it (which is why I'm targeting it) -- but maybe I just haven't understood what you meant by it (care to explain a bit more your suggestion?).

Also, my suggestion is that that the whole IDE will be able to have record/playback, not only the text editor (but, I have to start somewhere, so, providing it for the text editor will be the first step... and it's actually the most thing requested in bug 8519 if you take a look at its comments... the first comment is on textpad macro functionality, then, the comment #4, from Ed Burnette, gives another example also only with text and find, then #9 says about vi (same thing, just text)... so, if you read more about the comments, you can see that most of them are only for the macro record/playback within the text editor -- personally, it's one of the reasons I keep having to open notepad++... just to copy some text to it, record/playback macro and copy it back -- a bit annoying having to copy back and forth, but really helpful in many occasions).

So, there are many user stories in that bug for macro record/playback in the text editor AND it'll be possible to extend it later on to add the support for other views to record things in the whole IDE as you're saying.

Cheers,

Fabio

Back to the top