Re: [platform-ui-dev] Macro recording capabilities

> The important part is that the structure to make the record/playback will already be available for all editors/views (based on org.eclipse.e4.core.macros) and that the general approach is deemed a good approach

Well, that seems to contradict that you have to make changes in the AbstractTextEditor as opposed to StyledText or view/editor parts.

Dani

From:        Fabio Zadrozny <fabiofz@xxxxxxxxx>
To:        "Eclipse Platform UI component developers list." <platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        16.01.2017 16:01
Subject:        Re: [platform-ui-dev] Macro recording capabilities
Sent by:        platform-ui-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 8:06 AM, Daniel Megert <daniel_megert@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> and actually making changes in the AbstractTextEditor

This sounds like it will be at a too high level. What about other editors or Controls that use StyledText?

Dani

​Hi Dani,​

​Well, the idea is to extract utilities for record/playback so that they can be reused properly later on.

Initially my idea is making anything non-essential non-API, but as things go forward, there's definitely a bunch of utilities that can be made available for others to make things easier to setup for macro recording for other views/editors, although my plan is initially committing to getting the text editor stable for macro record/playback and then, on a second step, after those concepts are already validated and working properly, go on and extract things to make it easier for others to reuse as things are needed.

The important part is that the structure to make the record/playback will already be available for all editors/views (based on org.eclipse.e4.core.macros) and that the general approach is deemed a good approach (which in general means that each view/editor will have to take some steps to actually make it macro-aware -- i.e.: each action made will have to note that it's in record mode and will have to post commands for a playback later on -- IMHO, that's the only approach that can be made to reliably work -- i.e.: an action such as a finding text and replacing it should record an action with a "find xxx"/"replace selection with yyy" and not require the actual find/replace widget to be active for the playback... I think that https://sourceforge.net/projects/practicalmacro/does a good job at that, but as it tries to do everything from the outside, in the end it's not actually reliable enough to be used, although it gets many things right).

Best Regards,

Fabio