Re: [platform-ui-dev] documenting things

Francis, you're absolutely right on all accounts.

Of course, it's also worth mentioning that doc is a great place for the community to make contributions :)

Regards,
Kevin

"Francis Upton" <francisu@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-ui-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/25/2009 10:50 PM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform UI component developers list."        <platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"Eclipse Platform UI component developers list." <platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[platform-ui-dev] documenting things

Hey all,

I'm trying to learn databinding; I'm working in release 3.4.2, and the
only documentation I can find is the Wiki.

This is not really that helpful to me, as the Wiki is for the current
release, which is quite a bit different than 3.4.2 (as near as I can tell).

I'm also a bit disturbed that there seems to be a culture in Platform UI
about documenting things in the Wiki, rather than in the actual product
documentation (the ISV guide).  I really don't think it serves our clients
for two reasons:

1) The correct version is not captured (as related in my comment above)
2) People should not be expected to try to find stuff in the Wiki, I know
when I need help the first place I go to is the product's help.  That's
where the most complete and accurate information should go.

I know it take some extra effort to do this, but it's really not all that
bad, and it *will really* help out our clients.  Our stuff is hard enough
to use even when well documented.

Thanks!

Francis

--