Re: [platform-ui-dev] Working set changes

If you look at how the breakpoints view has used working sets, the on/off visibility of a working set is not going to be flexible enough. Normal workbench views should allow the user to select among sets with the "resource" context. The breakpoints view should present all working sets with the "breakpoint" context. The "choose working set dialog" or working set menu contributions should be sensitive to the client's context.

-Randy

Kimberly Horne <kim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-ui-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/25/2005 09:40 AM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform UI component developers list."

"Eclipse Platform UI component developers list." <platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[platform-ui-dev] Working set changes

I've added new features relating to working sets.  As discussed
previously, we needed a bridge working set that represents the
contents of all working sets active on a workbench window for those
clients that aren't able to handle multiple working sets.  I've
created API for the creation of aggregate working sets.  Aggregates
are backed by a collection of other working sets and react
accordingly to changes in their component sets.  Each workbench page
has such a set available via IWorkbenchPage.getAggregateWorkingSet().

This feature required some new API on IWorkingSet and
IWorkingSetManager.  For IWorkingSet I added get/setLabel.  The label
of a working set is a more descriptive user-friendly name for the
working set.  Unfortunately, up until this point the name of a
working set was also its unique identifier.  This is problematic when
we need multiple instances of the "window working set", one for each
window, and yet have no way to reasonably distinguish between the two
in a way that leaves the name readable to the user.  By default the
label attribute is the same as the name attribute unless a label is
explicitly provided.  Also added was IWorkingSet.isVisible().  The
idea behind this method is that some working sets should be managed
by an IWorkingSetManager but not visible to the user in various
selection dialogs or lists.  I'm not entirely comfortable with
isVisible() - I think there might be a better way to express this
requirement (perhaps isSystem() or isUtility()).  IWorkingSetManager
sees the addition of createAggregateWorkingSet() for creation of
arbitrary aggregates.

To make use of these new APIs the WorkingSetFilterActionGroup and the
IWorkingSetSelectionDialog implementation have been enhanced.  The
dialog now provides the ability to select the window working set, no
working set, or an arbitrary collection of working sets that will be
assembled into an aggregate.

The UI surrounding this API is still very much up in the air and the
API is still marked as experimental.  If you have any comments or
concerns, please let me know.