[platform-ui-dev] UI book recommendations

In our post-3.0 review discussions, the topic of good UI books (or other
resources) came up.

I have the following recommendations to share:

"The Design of Everyday Things" (previously known as "The Psychology of
Everyday Things") by Don Norman
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/0465067107
- Not specifically about computer UIs, but one of the best references for
getting into the usability mindset.  You won't look at door handles the
same way again.

"GUI Bloopers" by Jeff Johnson
- An excellent presentation on the things that are easy to get wrong in
UIs, and how to make them right.

"About Face 2.0" by Alan Cooper
- Although brash and opinionated, he has some useful things to say about
UIs.  In particular, the discussion on different "stances" taken by
different apps is interesting. (my comments are based on the first edition
of the book)

"Effective Java" by Josh Bloch
- OK, it's not a book about UIs at all, but it's an essential reference
for Java coding.

"This is Broken" edited by Mark Hurst
http://broken.typepad.com/
- Very entertaining web sitepointing out usability experiences that are
broken (not just software).
- His newsletter/blog at http://www.goodexperience.com is also worthwhile.

Back to the top