RE: [platform-ui-dev] Window/page/perspective rework

I think Scott and lots of others want VA-Java style browsing.  For example,
(if anyone from JDT is on the list), it would be nice to have Open Package
and Open Project dialogs that open the hierarchy perspective in a new
window.

If Scott's like me, he wants Debug, Search results, Team browsing, etc. all
in their own top-level window.

In my opinion, the only interesting use of perspectives is WHEN the
perspective takes an input, such as the java hierarchy perspective.  I
believe this is the opposite of what was described as the new default
behavior.  What I am describing is the ability to switch from the Hierarchy
Perspective, to a Problems Perspective (doesn't exist yet) on the same
input, whether it be a type, package, project, etc.  Both of these
perspectives have multiple Views, all focused on a subset of the workspace
as defined by their input.

(I know the task list will get better, but I still think a VAJ-style
problems page is better).

-Randy

|---------+--------------------------------->
|         |           Nick_Edgar@xxxxxxx    |
|         |           Sent by:              |
|         |           platform-ui-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org           |
|         |                                 |
|         |                                 |
|         |           03/06/2002 09:57 AM   |
|         |           Please respond to     |
|         |           platform-ui-dev       |
|         |                                 |
|---------+--------------------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                            |
  |       To:       platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx                                                                |
  |       cc:                                                                                                  |
  |       Subject:  RE: [platform-ui-dev] Window/page/perspective rework                                       |
  |                                                                                                            |
  |                                                                                                            |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Scott,

It would help if you could spell out exactly how you would like it to
work.
Which prefs did you use previously?  Or, if the previous prefs weren't an
exact match to what you would like, please provide more details.

Thanks,
Nick

"Scott Stanchfield" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-ui-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
03/06/02 09:33 AM
Please respond to platform-ui-dev

        To:     <platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: [platform-ui-dev] Window/page/perspective
rework

> I suspect you're not the only one who prefers the button.  We'll
consider
> adding it back.

Cool...

> For opening new windows, use Window / New Window, then switch the
> perspective.

Did that -- works ok, but since that's the "default mode" I like to work
in
(one perspective per window), it means a lot of extra work to open a
perspective.

> Our preference is to decouple the action of opening a window (creating a

"preference" being the operative word here -- can it be made one?

-- Scott