Re: [platform-ui-dev] Lazily expand a tree item with a subset of all children of the model possible?

There is not support to lazily load the visible items.  The reason is that
the OS doesn't provide sufficient callbacks to know when the TreeItems
become visible.  In fact, I **believe** that certain things in windows can
cause both a scroll and/or a paint to occurr without firing any events,
certain ScrollWheel mouse drivers for example.

Even if you could do this, setting the Icon and Text is roughly 60% of the
performance problem.  You will still encounter the remaining 40% of the
performance problem, which is creating dummy TreeItems.  This discusson
should probably be continued on the SWT dev list.

-Randy

|---------+--------------------------------->
|         |           Hermann Weindl        |
|         |           <hermann.weindl@mind8.|
|         |           com>                  |
|         |           Sent by:              |
|         |           platform-ui-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org           |
|         |                                 |
|         |                                 |
|         |           02/26/2002 11:14 AM   |
|         |           Please respond to     |
|         |           platform-ui-dev       |
|         |                                 |
|---------+--------------------------------->
  |                                                                                                                                             |
  |       To:       platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx                                                                                                 |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                                   |
  |       Subject:  [platform-ui-dev] Lazily expand a tree item with a subset of all children of the model possible?                            |
  |                                                                                                                                             |
  |                                                                                                                                             |

Hello,

As the eclipse platform looks very promising to us we are currently
evaluating if we could move from Swing to SWT.
At least one question remains. In our application we visualize very big
data structures in Swing using a JTree (a TreeNode can easily have as many
as 50000 children) and we are only providing the visible TreeNodes. This is

quite easy and performs well as the API supports getChildCount() and
getChild().

As far as we see in SWT it is necessary to add all TreeItems to it's parent

when a node is expanded. All that we found is an example to lazily provide
the children of it's parent. For us this is not enough. Is there any
concept so that this would be much more lazy eg. to "load" only the visible

ones?

Any hints are welcome.
Thank you.

--hermann